Senior Advisory Committee
The Saratoga Springs Senior Advisory Committee is a non-political committee, appointed by the Mayor, representing the senior citizens of Saratoga Springs.
Our mission is to have a positive impact on the City of Saratoga Springs and its senior citizens as we work together to accomplish the following:
- Elicit senior concerns, raise awareness, report back to the Mayor, and advocate for solutions to the needs of seniors
- Increase access and mobility for seniors within an age friendly community
- Enhance opportunities for seniors to participate fully in the life of the community
- Advocate for support services for seniors
- Attend meetings of organizations that are of significance to senior issues
- To serve as a liaison between seniors and the Mayor and the members of the City Council
1. Increase communication and interaction with the senior population
2. Advocate for the special mobility needs of seniors.
- Action Step: Increase the membership of the committee so that it is representative of seniors living in the various neighborhoods of the city.
- Start holding a series of Neighborhood Senior Meetings in 2018. Continue in remaining neighborhoods in 2019, then repeat in 2020 & 2021.
- Action Step: Work through the interfaith clergy Group and others to identify the needsof the home-bound and socially isolated seniors.
- Action Step: Promote awareness of the Senior Advisory Committee through letters t editor, articles press releases, and electronic media.
- Action Step: Coordinate and cooperate with the Senior Center whenever appropriate.
- Action Step: Hold a forum on topics of interest to seniors- citywide.
3. Speak out for our City’s seniors in contact with our county, state, and federal government officials.
- Action Step: Advocate for a drive-up Mail Box.
- Action Step: Advocate for adequate “Accessible” Parking
- Action Step: Keep abreast of public transportation and special transportation available to seniors.
a. Action Step: Contact relevant public officials, as appropriate, regarding issues of concern to Saratoga Spring’s Seniors.4. Stay abreast of housing developments in the City that might offer opportunities for senior housing.
- Action Step: Maintain liaison with the Affordable Housing Task Force.
Mary Ellen Ryall
Dolores (Dee) Sarno
Barbara Thomas, Chair
Senior Related Agencies and their Representatives
- Office for the Aging (Saratoga County)
Denise Yannaci - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saratoga Adult & Senior Center
Lois Celeste - email@example.com
- Saratoga Hospital