Dog Licensing Information
Every dog owned or harbored in New York State for longer than thirty (30) days must be licensed.
The following are the only license exemptions in the State of New York:
● Dogs less than four (4) months of age and not running at large (off the owner's premises).
● If a non-resident brings a dog into New York State for less than thirty (30) days and the dog is licensed according to the resident state's licensing laws.
For guide dogs, war dogs, hearing dogs, police work dogs, therapy dogs, working search dogs, detection dogs, or therapy dogs, you are required to provide proof of service as a work dog including completion of a recognized service training certificate.
You will need to submit the following ADDITIONAL information with your application:
- If the dog is spayed or neutered - a certificate from the veterinarian showing that the dog has been spayed or neutered, unless this proof is already on file with the clerk.
- Proof of ownership - usually in the form of a veterinary bill / medical statement.
- All dogs four months or older must have proof of a rabies vaccination signed by a licensed veterinarian or a certificate stating why the life of the dog would be endangered by the vaccine.
After the application and required certificate(s) are filed and the license fee has been paid, the license will be validated for one year. Each dog is assigned a permanent official identification (ID) number and issued a metal ID tag which is to be attached to the dog's collar. NO REFUNDS will be made after a license has been validated. There shall be a $3.00 fee for a replacement tag.
Per Dog License Fees are as follows:
Male Neutered: $ 4.00 Male Not Neutered: $15.00
Female Spayed: $ 4.00 Female Not Spayed: $15.00
Certified Working Dogs: NO FEE
Owners Aged 65 years and older: NO FEE
Pure Bred Dog Licenses for one (1) to ten (10) dogs is $40.00 PLUS $1.00 per dog if spayed or neutered OR $3.00 per dog if not spayed or neutered
You may pay via cash in person or a check made out to the City of Saratoga Springs City Clerk.
You may apply for a dog license at the City Clerk’s Office in the Accounts Department at the City of Saratoga Springs City Hall located at 474 Broadway, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866.
If you have questions pertaining to dog licensing in the City, please call the City Clerk’s Office at (518) 587-3550 extension 2546.