Obtaining Personal Criminal Records

A private citizen has several options to obtain their own personal criminal history. They are outlined below:
  • An FBI background check is the most expansive, covering the entire United States and is done by a fingerprint submission to the FBI. You can contact the FBI about their process.
  • New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) also provides a background check service, by fingerprint submission, which would encompass all of New York State.
  • The Saratoga Springs Police Department issues a "Certificate of Good Conduct" for people who reside within our jurisdiction. This is a certified document which states a person has no previous criminal activity with our agency. It can only be obtained by the person named on the certificate. To request a Certificate of Good Conduct, please send a notarized letter to the Chief of Police which includes your full name (maiden name if applicable), date of birth and the addresses at which you have resided within the City of Saratoga Springs.

    Please keep in mind that a Saratoga Springs mailing address does not necessarily indicate a residence within the city boundaries. Also include a phone number for contacting you if there are any issues. There is a $15 fee for a Certificate of Good Conduct, payable by check or money order only, and made payable to the Commissioner of Finance. Also include a self addressed, stamped envelope with your request for the Certificate to be mailed back to you once it is issued.